Incoming Documents in Dynamics NAV 2017, OCR, and Workflows
There are many new features for document handling in Dynamics NAV and features have been added since version 2013. Below please find features and opportunities for purchase document handling in Dynamics NAV 2017.
Incoming Documents from Purchases
- Dynamics NAV will allow you to attach a document to a purchase document either from file or via device camera if using tablets or phones.
- Files that are associated with a particular purchase document will flow to posted document and all entries related to this document (sub-ledger etc.). From there the original document can be seen at any time.
The document can be handled in different ways:
- It can be put into a workflow immediately and be approved by a yes/no.
It can be read by OCR once released by a user and a workflow will send it to OCR service and notify user once read and returned with an XML version of the document (invoice).
- NAV can now show what the OCR read and let the user correct the result and send back feedback to the OCR service so it will learn how to read this document in the future. If a purchase invoice is read it will be associated with the vendor so the OCR service knows how to interpret invoice for each vendor it encounters.
- Once invoice has been read on header and line levels, a purchase invoice will be inserted into Dynamics NAV automatically by workflow or triggered manually by user.
- If a document can’t be associated with a vendor, a new vendor can be created and the invoice processed like normal, or an existing vendor can be used and feedback will be sent back to the OCR service to enable it to do better next time.
- Eventually, once OCR service has learned most documents sent to Dynamics NAV, a workflow could be set up to automatically importing incoming invoices, read OCR, create invoice in NAV and notify users if errors have occurred.
- A user can manually send the document to OCR service and wait for the OCR service to return the result. Once returned the user can correct if needed and submit the invoice into a workflow for approval.
- Documents can also be turned into journal lines if there is no need to enter via the A/P system but instead only through the G/L.
- Dynamics NAV is using Lexmark Invoice Capture Service to handle the OCR. Lexmark is providing a web service that will take the document, read OCR on it and return it back to Dynamics NAV as XML. The XML will contain the Invoice Header and Lines.
- Service will read OCR on the submitted document and return an XML file to Dynamics NAV that contains the invoice header and lines.
- Using text-to-account rules G/L accounts or Items can be selected and used on the invoice lines.
- The workflow can also have instructions to post the invoice once created.
- Once the invoice has been created by a user or automatically through the OCR service, the invoice can be entered into a workflow for approval using monetary levels to determine who should approve what and in which order.
If you like to know more about Dynamics NAV 2017, don’t hesitate to contact us.